Carnations are sold in bunches of 25
Dianthus caryophyllus (the proper name of Carnation), means“flower of the gods”, and they were often used in Greek and Roman ceremonial crowns. White carnations represent purity and luck.
Here are the full steps in proper carnation care:
- Find a very clean vase
- Hold each carnation next to the vase to determine how much of the stems to remove
- Cut the stem at a 45-degree angle so it’s easier for the flowers to absorb water and stay healthy
- When cutting stems, cut them under water–this helps prevent nasty air bubbles
- Don’t forget to drop the included flower food in your vase of carnations
- Recut the stems each time you change the water and get rid of any leaves that dwell under the waterline – every 2 days
- Don’t put your carnations in an area that has abnormal heat sources, direct sunlight, cold drafts from the A/C, ripening fruits, or near other wilting plants because…science
Carnations love, love, love water, but don’t give them too much— 2.5cm-5cm at max. This will prevent stem rot, which carnations are extremely susceptible to. Here are some more water-related carnation care tips:
- Give your carnations room-temperature water to sip on—it’s easier for them to absorb
- Change the water at least every two days, and remember to re-cut your stems each time you do.
- To fight off bacteria, add 1/4 tablespoon of bleach per litre of water in the vase. If you don’t add an antibacterial agent, your carnations’ stems run the risk of being clogged which will can make it impossible for them to absorb the water they need to survive.
- If you are out of flower food and haven’t purchased any extra, you should use one tablespoon of sugar to keep your carnations feeling in tip-top shape.
Mayflower Market flowers are sold in bunches as indicated above and wrapped in brown paper, tied with raffia (very much similar to flowers purchased from a street vendor or market in Europe) and delivered to you ready to pop into your favorite vase & brighten up your home or workspace.
If you are looking for a gift, we suggest you browse our boutique collection in our online shop.